Pages

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Independent Blog Post Quarter 1 (2014 - 2015)

Have you recently listened to Pop music ( as in popular music)? By listening, I mean listening to the lyrics as well as the sound of the music. I believe that most people including myself, do not pay enough attention to the lyrics; however, recently after actually analyzing the lyrics of many songs, I have come to a startling realization.
Very few pop songs have no songs have no sexual connotations or innuendos.

This first occurred to me a few days ago when I was dong my chores. Usually I would use my ear buds to listen to music however, they broke; therefore, I played my music out loud as I worked. I constantly had to change songs because of sexual innuendos if not profanity. Eventually I ended up playing only Spanish songs.Not because they did not have such innuendos (most did) but so that my parents would not be able to understand it. Then I wondered to myself, "why can't I play most of my music in the house?". In my playlist, most of the pop songs were the culprits. The older the songs, the less innuendos.

I have noticed this a lot in Westernized pop culture such as US pop culture and Caribbean pop culture. The European and African pop music that I listen to, tend to have less of an issue. However, I find this quite disturbing. Although the music i listen to cannot be representative of the entire western world, I can make a good assumption based on that and what I know everybody else listens to. My mother always says that when we are old, we will have no good music and will only be able to "back it up" and "twerk". Although this might be far fetched, we are heading down this road.

My main questions are:
Do the popularity of these songs directly relate to such innuendos?
Do people realize the extent of sexuality in Western pop culture?
and most importantly
Is it that we have not noticed, tuned out, or desensitized the reference to sex?

No comments:

Post a Comment