Pages

Monday, June 2, 2014

Inspirations play



Title - Inspirations Play   Year - Freshman 
Skills - compromise, communicating, writing, media, editing Category - Media and Communication

I believe that the inspirations play was one of the hardest projects of my freshman year. I do not say this because of the work load or research but because of the amount of compromising that had to be done. In the beginning of the project, we were asked to come up with two play ideas that inspired us. I had an idea about finding one’s self and fitting in while my other idea was about media’s hypocrisy on the issue of body image. I really liked my first idea of finding one’s self because I felt it related to me and my life experiences. That was the play that truly inspired me. However, we were then to find a group of people with similar play ideas to create a play. Nobody had my first play idea but a few people had a variation of my second idea. Throughout this process, the fact that nobody had my first choice made me want to do the first choice even more because this tied into my play of trying to fit in (and how that never seems to work out). I was disappointed.

However, once we got into the process of writing our play I started to like the play but I still felt that my original version of the body image play was much better. In the end we decided to have three girls facing different problems with body image. This incorporated all of our ideas. However, we had to convey the messege in 10 minutes. I felt that it would be very hard to provide emotional context and breaking of chains in just ten minutes without the play being cliche. We were able to cut down our play but in the end, it was still too long and did not have the desired effect.

This might have not have been as great as I had hoped but I have learned a great deal from this assignment. I have learned to compromise and accept other ideas. I also learned a little bit about editing. I learned that even though I might love a particular part, but I have to keep into consideration the time constraints and whether it really adds to the play.

No comments:

Post a Comment